Medical Records

How may I obtain copies of my health information?
An Authorization to Release Information Form is required for any use or disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI) that is not covered under treatment, payment, or health care operations (EHS business practices). The form is available by clicking this link. An authorization must be received from the patient before any PHI is used or disclosed with the exception of information used or disclosed for treatment, payment, or health care operations. When a valid authorization for use or disclosure of PHI is received, the information must be disclosed only to the individual or entity specified in the authorization and for the purpose authorized.

Please mail the authorization to:
Sweetwater Hospital Association
Attention: Health Information Management Department
304 Wright Street
Sweetwater, TN 37874

Who may sign an authorization?
The patient must sign the authorization unless the patient is a minor or declared physically or mentally incompetent. If the patient is a minor, one of the patient’s parents would sign the authorization. If the patient is mentally or physically incompetent, the patient’s legal guardian would sign the authorization and provide proof of guardianship and provide a copy of the Durable Power of Attorney. If requesting records on a deceased patient, the executor of the patient’s estate or surviving spouse should sign the authorization.

How can my doctor obtain my health information?
Your doctor may contact our Health Information Department at (865) 213-8527 or fax a request to (865) 213-8404 and request your information for treatment. To request the x-ray film, your doctor should contact (865) 213-8527.

How can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?
Contacting The State of Tennessee Department of Vital Records. The phone number is (615) 532-2678. The state website is

If you have additional questions regarding your health information, please contact our Health Information Management Department at (865) 213-8527.